6.23.2010

Let The Sun Shine In




Somewhat recently I’ve fallen in love with the 1967 musical Hair: the American Tribal Love-Rock Musical. It’s not just the AMAZING music, which I learned all the words to listening to the soundtrack as I walked to class on the beautiful OU campus which just added to its wonderfulness. It’s the beautiful “hippie love everyone and stop fighting” message that totally inspires me. Sure when people think of hippies they think of everyone doing drugs and free love and war protests. But I think of what inspired those people to participate in those protests and love everyone, in all ways haha. They wanted the world to just except each other and they knew if everyone just used love instead of guns and war the world would be a better place. I just love the words in the songs like the opening number: “When the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then peace will guide the planet and love with steer the stars.” I think that last line is just amazing. You may think I’m a bit weird, I mean what I would give to live in the 60s. I always say I was born in the wrong century. Man would I love to go to Woodstock and be in those crazy Vietnam War protests. I would totally be a hippie, even my dad said so. Listening to Hair just makes me so Happy. Some of just the fun songs like “Black Boys” and “White Boys” are the best to sing at the top of your lungs while driving with the window down. And the fact that at the end of the musical the cast gets the audience to get up on stage and dance with them. Man how awesome, right? Even the title of this blog, peace flowers freedom happiness, is from a song in hair. Those four things just put me in high spirits. My second favorite song in the whole musical is “Good morning Starshine.” Most of the lyrics are just “gliddy gloop gloopy, nibby nobby nooby, la la la lo lo.” But it just makes me so content. And lastly my favorite part of the musical (granted I haven’t seen it live) is the classic ending with “Let the Sun Shine.” And that’s all they say, they just repeat it over and over again: let the sun shine in. But why not live your life by that small statement. Just accept what happens, take life as it comes, and truly let the sun shine in.






“Oh say can you see my eyes if you can then my hairs too short!” (awesome, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment